FLAVIO-SHIRÓ

Flavio-Shiró (Sapporo, Japan, 1928). Painter, engraver, designer and scenographer. Arriving in Brazil in 1932, Flavio-Shiró settled with his family in a Japanese community in Tomé-Açu, in the state of Pará. He moved to São Paulo in 1940. He studied at the Getúlio Vargas Professional School, where he met Octávio Araújo (1926), Marcelo Grassmann (1925) and Luiz Sacilotto (1924 – 2003). He was a member of the Santa Helena Group in 1943 and had contact with Alfredo Volpi (1896 – 1988) and Francisco Rebolo (1902 – 1980), among others. In 1947 he joined the Seibi Group. The following year, he worked in the frame-making workshop of the painter Tadashi Kaminagai (1899 – 1982). He traveled to Paris on a scholarship and remained there from 1953 to 1983. He studied mosaics with Gino Severini (1883 – 1966), metal engraving with Johnny Friedlaender (1912 – 1992) and lithography at the École National Supérieure des Beaux-Arts; and was a frequent visitor to the atelier of Sugai and Tabuchi. In the 1960s, he participated in the Brazilian art movement and was a member of the São Paulo Austral Group (Phases Movement). He began to dedicate himself to informal abstraction in the 1950s. Then, starting in the 1970s, his works began to suggest figures, sometimes fantastic beings or monsters. In 1990, the publisher Salamandra published the book Flávio-Shiró. The Trajetória [Trajectory] exhibition: 50 years of Paintings from Flávio-Shiró appeared at the Museum of Modern Art in Rio de Janeiro (MAM-RJ) and at the Hara Museum of Contemporary Art in Tokyo, in 1993, and at the São Paulo Assis Chateaubriand Museum (Masp) in 1994.

RETURN



1/3         < previous     next >
1987 - 218x240cm - Polyptych - oil on canvas
Photo: Jaime Acioli