ALUISIO CARVÃO

Aluísio Carvão (Belém PA 1920 - Poços de Caldas MG, Brazil 2001).Painter, sculptor, illustrator, actor, scenographer, professor. Aluísio began his artistic career as an illustrator in the state of Pará. He also worked as a sculptor and scenographer. His focus changed to painting in 1946, with his first individual show in the state of Amapá, where he resided for a short time. In 1949, he received a scholarship from the Ministry of Education and Culture (MEC) for art professors and moved to Rio de Janeiro. Aluísio began studying painting with Ivan Serpa (1923–1973) at the Museum of Modern Art in Rio de Janeiro (MAM-RJ) in 1952. He was a member of the Grupo Frente from 1953 to 1956 and took part in the principal collective exhibitions related to Brazilian concretism, such as the 1st National Exhibition of Abstract Art in 1953, in Petrópolis; the Grupo Frente shows in Rio de Janeiro in 1954 and 1955; and the 1st National Exhibition of Concrete Art in São Paulo, in 1956, and in Rio de Janeiro, in 1957. From 1957 to 1959, he taught at MAM-RJ, replacing Ivan Serpa. He had an individual show at the Galeria de Artes das Folhas in 1958, in São Paulo.

Together with the artists Amilcar de Castro (1920–2002), Franz Weissmann (1911–2005), Lygia Clark (1920–1988), Lygia Pape (1927–2004) and the poet Reynaldo Jardim (1926– ), he signed the Neoconcrete Manifesto written by Ferreira Gullar (1930– ) in 1959. He participated in the Neoconcrete Art Exhibition in 1959 in Rio de Janeiro, later expanded to include São Paulo and Salvador, with the same group of artists.

In 1960 he participated in the Konkrete Kunst in Zurich and the Neoconcrete Art Exhibition in Munich. He received the prize of a trip abroad at the National Modern Art Salon. He attended the Hochschule für Gestaltung (HfG) [Higher School of Form] in Ulm, Germany, as a visiting artist. He traveled to several European countries, then returned to Brazil in 1963. He then became a professor at MAM-RJ and at the Parque Lage School of Visual Arts From 1966 to 1979, he worked in graphic arts and industrial design, producing posters, book covers and stamps. He submitted two works to the New Brazilian Objectivity show at MAM-RJ in 1967.

In the 1980s, he took part in various retrospectives on concrete and neoconcrete art. An important retrospective of the artist was held in 1996 at the Curitiba Metropolitan Museum of Art, and then repeated at the Museum of Modern Art in Salvador, Bahia (MAM-BA) and MAM-RJ. With other artists, he participated in the Constructive Art in Brazil exhibition: the Adolpho Leirner Collection, held in 1998 at the Museum of Modern Art in São Paulo (MAM-SP) and in 1999 at MAM-RJ. Aluísio Carvão's works have been shown at various International Biennials in São Paulo; at the 4th Biennial in Tokyo in 1957; and at the 1st Inter-American Biennial in Mexico in 1958.

RETURN



1/3         < previous     next >
1982 - 73x116cm - untitled - tempera on canvas
Photo: Jaime Acioli